Bachelor Of Business
Bachelor Of Business Sports Management
We have regular intakes throughout the year in February, June and September. You can register your interest online today.
Upon successful completion of the Diploma of Sports Development (Elite) you will have the opportunity to complete your university qualification – Bachelor of Business (Sports Management) with advanced standing.
The university qualification offering sets us apart from other Academies and gives our students the foundation to succeed outside of football.
The study component of the Academy is a key element of our student-athletes development and is modelled on the USA collegiate system–where athletes pursue elite training combined with higher education.
The Academy is unique because it offers student-athletes the opportunity to play and train in an elite environment while completing their university qualification through our education provider Torrens University Australia.
The Bachelor of Business degree at Torrens University takes an innovative approach to understanding core business strategies and how to apply them in a real business environment.
Gain a competitive edge for the future with the sought-after skills to succeed in the modern global sports business environment.
How does this work?
You complete the Torrens University Australia qualification while attending the Australian Rules Academy.
This allows you to play and train while you complete your university qualifications.
Workload and assessments
Assessments vary and may include: Essays, reports, case studies, in-class debates, online tests and quizzes, participation in online discussion forums and research projects.
How can I study?
Full time – On Campus Full time 2 years. Students complete Diploma of Sport Development (Elite) in first year.
When do I study?
Student / athletes study 4 days a week at the Simon Black Academy campus.
Some study is also required outside of Academy hours.
Where can I study?
We have academies in Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth – for further details visit our Locations page
Academy students who successfully complete first-year Diploma Sports Development (Elite) will progress to the second year Bachelor of Business (Sports Management) with advanced standing.
General Admissions Criteria
- Year 12 or equivalent with ATAR 60 / OP 17
Special Entry Requirements available, please enquire for more information.
English Language Admissions Criteria
Approved English tests include:
IELTS 6.0, with no sub score less than 5.5
Course admission and student ATAR information
For detailed information on the course see Torrens University Australia website
100 Level Core Units
- Business Communications
- Understanding People and Organisations
- Customer Experience Management
- Marketing Fundamentals
200 Level Core Units
- The Business Environment
- Accounting for Decision Making
300 Level Core Units
- Ethics and Sustainability
- Organisational Creativity and Innovation
- Specialism Subject
- Strategic Management
- Business Consulting Project
- Industry Consulting Project
100 Level Elective Units
- Introduction to PR Writing
- Consumer Behaviour
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Sports Marketing
- Introduction to Sport Management
- Understanding Public Relations
- Event Concepts and Design
- Introduction to Events
200 Level Elective Units
- Digital Marketing Communications
- Marketing and Audience Research
- Business Marketing
- Managing Sport Facilities
- Managing Teams
- Sports Law
- Corporate Communications
- Advanced PR Writing
- Content Creation for Social Media
- Event Financing and Sponsorship
- Event Venue Management
- Event Management and Operations
300 Level Elective Units
- Marketing Strategy
- Health and Advocacy Strategies
- International Public Relations
- Events Policy and Strategy
- Non Specialism Electives
- Sports Events
- Brand and Product Management
- Human Resource Management
- Understanding Advertising
- International Marketing
- Project Management
Key study outcomes
- Analyse socio-cultural issues of sporting organisations
- Identify business opportunities for sports organisations
- Recognise the role sports plays in developing communities
- Examine the role governance bodies play in the regulation of sports
This course is ideal for the individual who wishes to develop essential skills required for gaining employment, securing career progression, or progressing to further qualifications and training required to achieve their sporting career goals.
Possible careers include:
- Coordinator or Assistant Manager
- Operations Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Partnership Manager
- Business Development Manager
- General Manager
Course fees and fee-help info
The course fee is $21,600 per year for Bachelor of Business (Sports Marketing) to the end of 2018. From 1st Jan 2019 to 31st Dec 2022 per annum price will be $22,600 per year.
Per year price includes the entire athletic program, the Bachelor of Business (Sports Management) and all other personal development programs.
FEE-Help Available – there is no upfront cost to eligible students if they select FEE-HELP.
FEE-HELP is a loan scheme that assists eligible fee-paying students to pay their tuition fees.
Eligible persons may borrow up to the FEE-HELP limit to pay tuition fees over their lifetime.
If you want to access FEE-HELP assistance to defer payment of some, or all, of your tuition fees, you will need to quote your tax file number or provide a Certificate of Application for a Tax File Number (TFN).
The form must be returned to Torrens University Australia before the commencement of your course.
FEE HELP can assist you in paying for all, or part of, your course fees. Repayments commence via the tax system once your income rises above a minimum threshold ($54,869 in 2016-17). Just like with any other debt, a FEE-HELP debt is a real debt that impacts your credit rating.
Am I eligible for FEE-HELP?
You are eligible for FEE-HELP assistance for a unit of study if you:
- Are undertaking study with an approved provider or through Open Universities Australia (OUA); meet the citizenship and residency requirements;
- You are an Australian citizen or a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the long-term residency criteria and who will undertake, in Australia, at least one unit of study contributing to your course;
- You are a permanent humanitarian visa holder who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit;
- You are a permanent visa holder who is undertaking bridging study for overseas-trained professionals, and will be resident in Australia for the duration of the study;
- Are enrolled in an eligible unit of study by the census date for the unit;
- Have not exceeded the FEE-HELP limit
For further information, visit the Australian Government website Study Assist
Student Investment & Method of Payment
If you already have a chosen education pathway studying elsewhere or you do not wish to undertake the Business Diploma, the Academy Fee will need to be paid either on an upfront basis or on anagreed payment plan with the Academy Director prior to commencement.
In other words, you wish to attend the Academy but not start or complete the Diploma of Sports Development (Elite) – therefore only participating Australian Rules Academy skills program, nutrition workshops, personal development sessions and strength and conditioning programs.
This service will be offered on a ‘student by student’ basis and the Academy reserves the right tochange this offering at any time prior to a confirmed student sign on.
The cost of the Australian RulesAcademy Skills Program will be discussed on a case by case basis.
Payment Plan Note – you cannot access FEE-HELP if you do not undertake the Diploma of Sports Development (Elite) delivered by Torrens University Australia RTO #41343
Austudy and Abstudy – students enrolled in this course may be eligible for government assistance, such as Austudy or Abstudy.
Further information about FEE-HELP, including eligibility, is available at FEE-HELP website